Sunday 15 April 2012

You shall have a fishy...

Hi :]

It's been nearly two months since I started the diet and instead of being a burden, i'm now embracing it as a massive lifestyle change and with a little advice from the nutritionist at the gym, I think i'm finally happy with my diet.

I've not had carbs for two days now and i'm trying to make sure if I do, to have them at lunchtime so I can burn them off way before bedtime.

It can be a little difficult at dinner times to know what to eat, especially if you have a family to cook for. I'm rather lucky as I only have to cook for Struck and I but as we both like different things, it can still be a bit of a faff!

Last night we had such a lovely, yet simple dinner! I don't have any photos as I couldn't wait to gobble it up, but I will make sure I start taking some :]

Asian Salmon

Serves 2
2 (small) Salmon fillets
1/2 tsp of chilli (paste or finely chopped)
1/2 tsp of ginger (paste or finely chopped)
1/2 tsp of garlic (paste or finely chopped)
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2-4 tbsp soy sauce
Juice of 1 lemon
2-4 tbsp warm water (optional)
Vegtables of choice

  1. Preheat the oven to 180° (for fan assisted ovens.. little higher if you don't)
  2. In an ovenproof dish, line with aluminum (tin) foil, with enough spilling over the edges to fold over the fish.
  3. Place the fillets in the dish, skin side down and set to one side whilst you make the marinade!
  4. To make the marinade, add the chilli, ginger, garlic, lemon zest and soy sauce to a bowl and stir well. Add as much soy sauce as you need/to taste. Be careful though, as it's very salty!!!
  5. Pour over the fillets, then rub in well to make sure everything is evenly coated.
  6. Pop the salmon in the fridge for half an hour (although you can do this ahead of time) for the flavours to mingle together.
  7. When ready to cook, squeeze over the juice of 1/2 a lemon. If your lemon is small or not on the juicy side, squeeze over the other half or add some warm water! Pop in the oven and cook for 15-25 minutes. The cooking time depends on your oven but you'll know when the fish is done as it'll turn opaque and flake when you touch it (with a fork, not your finger)!!
  8. Whilst this is in the oven, boil/steam/microwave your vegetables.
  9. Just before you take the salmon out of the oven, pop your warm vegetables in a bowl with a teeny bit of butter, salt, pepper and any leftover lemon juice. This makes everything so tasty!
  10. Put your veg in a bowl and then serve the salmon on top, pouring over any leftover juices.
It's so simple but full of flavour and so so filling!

I've tried this recipe with other kinds of fish as well. Salmon seems to work the best but it also works with trout, haddock and basa!

Sorry there aren't any pictures :[ I will try and take some next time I make this!

Also, just to add.. i'm not a professional or anything, this is just what I cook at home so please just tweak this recipe to suit you :]

Tonight we're making rainbow trout with a lemon thyme and lemon dressing with steamed vegetables. Y-U-M!

What are you having for your Sunday dinner?

No comments:

Post a Comment